Tuesday, August 14, 2007






Arizona is a special place to me, so special that when I plunged passed the sign stating "Arizona State Line" I threw my arms in the air in an expression of triumph. I was born and raised to the age of 12 in Arizona. Familiar sights, such as the Navajo reservation, cactus and dusty rock hills as far as the eye could see, made me think of a childhood that felt like a previous life.

After I turned south and came out of the wooded region of the state I felt the one thing nobody likes about Arizona: the unbelievable summer heat. I saw the mirage illusion caused by heat waves radiating off the highway ahead and felt the sun on my bare arms. Riding a motorcycle through the Arizona desert is like sitting in front of a gigantic blow dryer set on "incinerate" while straddling a hot oven. Because of how dry it is, the 75 mph wind offered no relief. After getting off the bike it takes at least half an hour to let my swass dry out.

Ever seen one of those bad movies with the following bad plot line: Guy comes back from wherever after being gone for a couple years and finds his old neighborhood overran with crime so he goes out and tries to clean it up with a gun? Well that's what happened to me and that's what I tried to do, except the gun was a staring gun with loaded with blanks. Apparently some bastards like to vandalize my dear old granny's house a couple times a week. They had been trying to catch them for some time using security cameras but without success. Mostly because they don't know how to set the cameras (typical old people and technology situation). So I set the alarms and spent a few nights camped out by the back door... armed... to the teeth... waiting for the bastards to show up. My plan was to get them on tape, try and mace them, then scare them off with the big cap gun. Now wait, I know this is the perfect set up for one of those crazy Gavin stories that you like to hear and I'm sorry to disappoint you, but nobody showed. Those dirt bags will be in pain soon enough because I gave my grandpa with Alzheimers the can of mace.

The rest of my week was spent dodging the heat and spending time with family I hadnt seen in 10 years. I wish I had more of a story here. Well thats it, off to San Diego. At least I got some good pictures, including one of what I would look like if I had stayed in AZ.

No comments: