Saturday, September 29, 2007

Goodbye USA

The first leg of my trip is done. North America was an amazing time and I could have spent an entire year just exploring its little nooks and crannies. I cruised across the Great Planes, hiked the tall peaks of Colorado, swam under the Arizona sun and watched the sun set over the Pacific Ocean.


Of all of the things I have done, both admirable and stupid, my greatest and most memorable experiences of this trip has not depended on activities or locations, but the people I have met along the way. I have stayed with multimillionaires, starving artists, family and strangers. I have met train hopping emo kids, a generous foster care family, a motel owner, a young IT professional and military personal of all sorts. My favorite times with these people has been Quietly observing how they do things and living their lives if only for an evening. Fascinating little cultural and lifestyle differences always bubble up.


Its a little frightening to be leaving the furthest edge of home, where everybody speaks my language and I can read street signs. What will be exciting is that once I get to Asia, I will be the furthest from home possible and that any further west I dare to go will be one step closer to my family and friends.


Thank you everybody that has made this trip so enjoyable. Thank you all who have donated, given me a place to stay, called a loose friend to arrange a place to stay and everybody back home that has emailed or called me just to say "Hi."


Asia here I come. Middle east you are on deck.

No comments: