Sunday, November 18, 2007

Booming China

It took an expensive visa, three border checkpoints and a 7 hour bus ride for me to get to my first Chinese town. The very first thing I noticed was all the construction. Everywhere there was concrete being laid, trucks hauling ruble and bamboo scaffolding covering projects. The second thing I saw was the pollution. Every car and truck no matter how mall spews thick black smoke. Every person discards their trash by tossing it out of the window. This is the fastest growing market that every financial professional is taking note of and it is the country that pollutes so much that western Canada is feeling its direct effects.



My arrival was what I had expected, a thriving city that doesn't slow down to help backpackers because nobody speaks English. In my time here I have become a fantastic sketch artist and world-class charades player. These skilsl were a necessity and not the least bit fun. After a week in China I was feeling quite depressed with how my experience was going. Every attraction cost money to get in. I payed an ureasonable sum of yuan to see the famous Three Pagodas only to find that the entire attraction was practically brand new. The ancient cities of Dali and Lijang were all remakes built on top of what was already glorious. The Chinese tourists like everything clean and neat, including their ancient history. They also like to touch white peoples skin and have their pictures taken with Westerners. I found I was a much of a tourist attraction as the renovated ancient city I was in.



I was lucky to link up with some other Westerners and make an attempt to escape the hordes of Chinese tourists. We took off for a three day hike across Tiger Leaping Gorge. It was exactly what the doctor ordered. Fresh mountain air, inspiring vistas and good company. We spent our days hiking alongside the gorge, tiny compared to the towering snow covered peaks, and spent our nights in Tibetan guesthouses, keeping warm by a coal fire pot and playing Ma-ja.



Now I'm back to the bustling city. I took a 16 hour train and a couple buses to get all the way to Chengdu, the capital of Sichuan and home to the Chinese fiery food.





Route Update

I'm sure some of you have been worried about how I was going to cross the Middle East overland. Well fret no more. From here in Chengdu I will be heading north up the Muslim area of China where I will merge onto the northern Silk Road. That's right everybody, I'm going to Kazakhstan. High-five!

3 comments:

Ryan said...

I envy you.

Anonymous said...

High Five? See you are Forest Gump

Anonymous said...

beautiful pictures...i love em! my dad just got back from nepal and wants me to climb the himalayas. i would, except if i left now, my second graders would take over the world and we can't let that happen. you be careful and have fun! keep us posted.

p.s.-is it just me or did your eyes get smaller? :D