I decided that it was a good idea to get out to the U.S. Air Force base in Turkey for New Years Eve. What could be better than getting out of Central Asia and partying like back home surrounded by corn? Turns out I have a neice in the Air Force and I also thought it would be good to bond with some more family on this trip.
Getting to the base was pretty easy, I just had to sit on a single bus for 24 hours, breaking my previous record of 16 hours. After another hour of wandering and fighting the language barrier with sketches to find the base, I arrived at the front gate, guarded by mean looking Turks with a reputation for being trigger happy. Once I got past them I was greeted by two things that I hadn't seen since the USA: Family and a black person... it was a sight for sore eyes.
I had never actually met my neice before, just a few emails. She is actually my step-neice, but that didn't stop her from always calling me Uncle Gavin. She is 4 feet and 11 inches of U.S.A.F police force fury. We bonded over Turkish food and cheesy movies. It was a good vacation from my journey.
The new years party made me feel like I was back home at one of the bars at my University. Lots of drunk young people, cheap beer and lots of country music that I hate. We had a great time and I feel like I have gotten a good rest from foreign culture and language barriers, its time to tackle the rest of Turkey

1 comment:
Excellent time partying it up, my friend. If youd like any pictures I took from New Years let me know at my email: bgartin@gmail.com Nice site by the way! Wish you luck on your journey.
-The Irish Hammer Brandon Gartin
USAF Security Forces
Post a Comment