
My couchsurfing host, Milosh, is a fifth year medical student at the local medical school here in Belgrade. After trying to plan a meeting spot after his morning clinical we decided it would be easier if I just posed as a medical student and tagged along to the hospital. We high-tailed it so we wouldn't be late and I slipped into his friends extra white coat. The Doctor that would be instructing us was the Serbian equivalent of Dr. Cox on Scrubs. Her stern tone and dislike for interns didnt get lost in the language barrier.

During a long speech in Serbian without translation (Melosh could blow my cover), I tried to look intrigued and attentive giving the occasional head nod and looking to my colleagues for their approval. I must have done well because the Doctor never caught on that I had no idea what the heck she was saying all day.
We quickly exited the office where we were and into an examination room. I just followed everbody else. The patient talked with the doctor for a brief moment, climbed up on a special table then dropped his draws. The topic of the day, which was a mystery to me until that point, was rectum and colon examinations. We were going to observe a colonoscopy. After the viewing tube thingy was in place all us med students had to lean in and take a good look. I had to maintain my character and look like I was learning, that meant taking a good look, give an approving nod and hold in my laughing. This particular chap was suffering from hemroids.
After two of those and nobody finding out that I was just a tourist we moved back into the office to learn how to suture. We put down two big pieces of gauze together and the doctor and nurse supervised us as we stitched them together with large, hook shaped needles. The nurse had a problem with my technique and kept saying something to me. Mine came out pretty good in the end.

After the day was over I had my stitched up souvenir and was ready to play the back nine. I like Serbia. In Serbia, I'm a doctor.

1 comment:
hahaha :)
Post a Comment