
I rode all day through the rain in very chilly temperatures in the southern
Colorado Rockies to visit my friend Jay at his new
Durango residence. The ride was so cold and wet I had to stop at a gas station to put my soaked gloves in the microwave for some temporary relief. I finally arrived at Jay and his roommate, Kyle's house, located on country road 250... a single wide
trailer nestled in the mountains next to a river. Jay and Kyle found secondary jobs as caretakers for a nice RV park and campground and one of the perks is a free place to stay. The
trailer looks more like a house and the inside is nicer than my college apartments. Jay decided to ditch the flat, boring lifestyle of our hometown for the mountains and to feed his snowboarding addiction.

When I got there I was awestruck by the beautiful view from his backyard and the freshly grilled bratwurst and beer ready for consumption. Not only did they feed me, they got me some temporary work on the grounds. We spent all day Saturday repairing water lines and disposing of campfire coals.

The next day we set out for Mesa Verde State Park and saw the famous cliff dwellings of the
Anasazi people. It was a perfect day for a light hike and
cruising around in Jay's new pickup truck. Places like this make me consider forgetting all my ambition and roots so that I could live just like Jay. If this trip gets done early, maybe I'll come back and find some cubical job in
Durango so that I can snowboard at least twice a week.

1 comment:
Gavin your pictures are AWESOME!!!
But i miss you, come home! lol
Post a Comment