Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Layover in Hawaii

After my shameful plane ride I collected my over sized backpack and walked into the moist, tropical air and waited for my friend, Abby, to pick me up. Moments later, she pulled up in her new car with a gigantic smile on her face. I dove in and off we went into the Hawaiian sun, singing along to the 80's music on the radio.

Abby is from my hometown and I have known her since my high school prom. After some time in college she opted for military service in the Navy. She put me up in her roommate's room whom I have still never seen.
Upon my arrival the weather became sub par by Hawaii standards but it was still beautiful to me. The first day we narrowly escaped a car collision while seeing more of the island. The next day we took off for Hunama Bay, a state park famous for great snorkeling. I saw all the fish I had previously only saw on TV. I got especially up close and personal with a curious sea turtle after he sneaked up on me when my back was turned. We topped off the day with lounging on the beach and making fun of ridiculous looking tourists from foreign countries.

In her seven months of being here on Oahu, Abby had never seen the Pearl Harbor Memorial and neither had I, so off we went. We got stuck, motionless, in traffic. That was until a Ford rear-ended us at near 40mph. Abby and I bounced around like pinballs but were ok. I checked the other car and they were ok too. I looked at Abby's new car... not ok. Actually, the car's frame got bend and it was deemed a total loss. Thankfully, it didn't stop us from hitting the beach for more snorkeling and body boarding. Abby did end up with a case of whiplash the next day though, so we spent a short evening at the exotic, Hawaiian military hospital. Abby had it rough the next few days, she was still recovering from surgery and whiplash all while getting the run around from insurance companies and starting her 12 hour night shifts. On the bright side, she got this fantastic loaner from a friend:

The rest of my time in Hawaii was filled with helping Abby move off base and into her new apt. Furnature shopping, cleaning up the place, playing the Wii, hanging out on the beach. Pretty much living life like a local.

I leave on Sunday for Thailand... then this site will get much more interesting.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do they cain in Thailand? Becareful and stay out of trouble.

Anonymous said...

Nice pictures..........get a hair cut

Anonymous said...

What a journey! Be safe and have a BLAST!

Anonymous said...

Will you be home for Christmas???

Anonymous said...

be safe c u soon have fun!

Anonymous said...

al wants to no wat ur gonna b for halloween ily

Gavin McDonald said...

No I wont stay at of trouble
No I wont get a haircut
I will not be home for Christmas, sorry

and I'm going to be a hobo for halloween