Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Genocide, Shanties and Temples




I expected to see something similar to Thailand when I crossed into Cambodia. I forgot that I knew nothing about Cambodia before going there except that I need to see the temples. The dusty boarder town that I spent my first night in was a splash of warm water on a hot Southeast Asia day. I saw only one paved road, rows and rows of tin and wood shanties and a few British brothel owners... which I had lunch and beers with.

The next day I was in the capital, Phnom Penn. This was home to some of the memorials to Cambodia's bloody and recent past. Back in the 70's, a group called the Khmer Rouge took control of the country in a communistic revolution. They captured, tortured and killed anybody that was educated, wealthy, or had a technical or professional job. This included men, women, children and babies. The memorial to this gruesome period of their history is in the former torture camp on the south side of town. There, I walked the cells where innocent people were detained and slowly killed with pictures to prove it. In one room, there is blood splattered across the ceiling, all the others just had red stained floor tiles. Seeing some of this incredibly depressing past would have been wrong to just pass up and is important in understanding the country that is hosting me.

All around the country you can see the void of education caused by the Khmer Rouge and the corruption that stands in its place. The main highway that brings in hordes of tourists into the country everyday is still unpaved and a joke of a road for a bus. Police officers can be wafted away from your small jay-walking crime for ten thousand Riel ($2.50) and your pack of cigarettes.

On a brighter note there are plenty of positive and interesting things in the country. French buildings still stand in multitude from the colonization and there is a military firing range where tourists can fire anything from an AK-47 to a rocket propelled grenade.

I left the urban areas to go see the famous city of Buddhist temples. To get there, I took a 6 hour river boat that simulated all too much from Into the Heart of Darkness. From the boat we got a great view of rural life for Cambodians. Riverside bungalows and entire floating villages were two of the stops along the way. Then we finally arrived in Seim Reap, which is minutes from the temples of the ancient Angkor civilization.

I wont bore anybody with much history of this amazing area. In short, Kings over generation tried to one-up each other by making bigger and better temples right next to each other. I think its a great way to let me feel like Indiana Jones for a day. Pictures do the best talking. Hopefully I can get most of them uploaded.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great pictures and story...........

Unknown said...

Like I said, better there than here!