Friday, October 26, 2007

Lazy Laos

The second I crossed the border I was met by... not much. The roads of Vientiane, the capital, were pretty much deserted except for a few Tuk-tuk drivers who were napping in hammocks rigged inside their vehicles. I only stopped off in Vientiane for a day on my way to Vieng Vang and it was worth it to pick up a few other travelers to split beers and rooms with.

Vieng Vang is a tiny little town made only slightly less tiny by the amounts of backpackers. Everybody is friendly and doesn't have a care in the world. The great times around here all take place in the few bars that stay open late (11:30 pm), the hiking done in the jagged nearby mountains covered by jungle and the infamous span of river used mostly for tubing.

A couple friends I met along the way came with me to experience river tubing. We rented a tractor tire tube, got a ride abut 10k up the river and started floating. The river took us winding down along side the hazey mountains and through a few tiny villages until we hit the last half. the 4k of river left before we got out was dotted with makeshift bamboo bars and gigantic rope swings. Dark brown Laos people pull you in with a giant bamboo pole so you can take a few swings and have a few beers. I wish I had pictures to show but water and cameras don't mix well.

We topped off our time here by sticking around until the end of the Buddhist lent, a huge festival with lots to eat and row boat races. All the villagers from nearby came to cheer on their favorite team and eat a lot of

No comments: