"Sabaidee, sir.... SABAIDEE!"
That was what an employee at the visa agency said to get my attention when he found me at an internet cafe hours after I had paid him to get my Chinese visa in two working days. It means "hello" in Laos. He said I need to come to the agency right away because there was a problem with my visa. I asked "what kind of problem?" He only replied "problem with price" and motioned for me to follow him.
I knew what the problem was. I created the problem on purpose. Months ago the U.S. raised the price for Chinese citizens to get tourist visas and in March China returned the favor. When the agency quoted me at the old price I asked several times if they were sure. They said yes, signed my receipt and I walked away hoping that was enough to call a binding contract. Back at the agency, I tried to explain in simplified English that the receipt meant that they had to do the service I already paid for and that they couldn't charge me more because WE HAD A DEAL! Their fault for the mistake.
The next day I had to come back to argue with the boss. We got into a bit of a heated argument and I went to the police. In the U.S. that receipt was enough to ensure that I got what I paid for but in Laos... well, I just had to go somewhere else and pay the full price and spend another day in Laos. $150 for a one month visa! This will be the most expensive visa on this trip.
I maid there most out of waiting by hanging out with my hilarious travel buddies I had been with for a week and explained to them what Halloween was. They dressed up as a pirate, the statue of liberty and I did the classic toilet paper mummy. Locals laughed and the barkeeps gave us free drinks. The next day we took off for a nearby waterfall for some hiking, swimming and rope swinging.
Now its off to China. Que the gong.
Saturday, November 3, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Hey Gavin, where in china are you going?
your donation link is down. fix it!
Post a Comment