Saturday, October 6, 2007

Whats the Capital of Thailand.... BANGKOK!


I arrived at Bangkok International with several problems. I had no Thai currency, I didnt meet he requirements to get a visa and I had a history of bad luck with cities. I quickly found a currency exchange and solved my first problem. Next was the problem of getting past customs. To get a visa in Thailand you must show a ticket that takes you out of the country within 30 days. I had a one way ticket, a bag of M&Ms, a pen and paper pad. If you have read some of the other stories on this site, then you know I like to pull some tricks to help me on my way. This little trick is called... pretending you are deaf. I caused such frustration with hand communications and purposely writing illegibly that they eventually waived me in just to avoid a larger headache than the one they already had. I had my backpack, my passport stamped and all I needed now was a place to crash.

After a night at an inn I set out to find my couchsurfing.com hosts. Tom and Ryan are Americans living in Bangkok. They welcomed me into their condo under the condition that I bring a bottle of duty free vodka. Partying was great in the evening but I had a few things I wanted to see and do.

The very first thing I did was teach chubby bunny , then headed over to a suit store that was recommended to me. Custom made suits here in Bangkok run from about $100 and up. After getting measured and selecting the top quality fabrics the store gave me a quote of $650 dollars for two suits and two shirts. About five minutes later I paid $450 for two suits, four shirts and two ties. Over the next few days I came in for 3 fittings, making adjustments each time.

Walking the streets in Bangkok is mind numbingly entertaining. There are street vendors every 10 feet selling delicious Thai creations for about $.50, Taxi drivers always asking "where you go?", stray animals and very strange smells. If there is one thing about Bangkok I will not miss it is the smells. Garbage on the ground, lack of deodorant on people, heavenly foods and emissions from the crowds of traffic jams mix into a stench that is inescapable.

Each night has brought great fun and culture shock. Cheap beers are harder to come by than prostitutes. They line the streets of some bar areas and yell "seeeeeeeeexxxy maaaaaan" as you walk by. The aggressive ones walk out and block your path to get your attention. One night I saw a group of them start to come my way, so I just shoved Ryan into them and kept walking. Backpackers are everywhere. If there was ever a Mecca for backpackers it would be Bangkok. Truckloads from all over the world fill the Khoasan road bars making for the best atmosphere and the best stories.

There is one last thing I had to do before leaving Bangkok: Muy Thia. Watching to old Thia people ferociously betting and the odd musical accompaniments was almost as interesting as the matches going on. We watches several low quality matches waiting for the final event. We were very excited once the top fighters came out for the last fight. Then one of them got kicked in the ankle in the first round and it was all over. We felt out Muy Thia experience was left slightly unfulfilled.

Now all I have to do is mail home my large box filled with gifts for donators, postcards and my suits.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those are some amazing pictures. And it sounds like you have experienced some ....interesting....things. lol. Keep ballin in bangkok ; )

Ryan said...

"I had my backpack, my passport stamped and all I needed now was a place to crash."

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA. LOL, ROFL, etc.

And where did you get $450 all of the sudden?